Winter Garden, FL, March 1, 2017– The inaugural Friends of Lake Apopka “FOLA 40”is scheduled for Sunday, April 2, 2017. The 40-mile bike ride around Lake Apopka intends to:
- Raise awareness about the restoration Lake Apopka
- Raise awareness about our two amazing trails (West Orange & Lake Apopka Loop)
- Raise awareness of the need to connect the two trails
The ride (not a race) will start at the Winter Garden Farmers Market area between 7:30-8am.Cyclists will head east on the West Orange Trail and ride counter-clockwise around the lake.
There will be 4 rest stops (energy drink & energy bars provided by Crooked Can):
- Magnolia Park (sponsor: City of Apopka)
- Halfway point of the Lake Apopka Loop Trail (sponsor: St Johns River Water Management District)
- Green Mountain Scenic Byway Trailhead (sponsor: Green Mountain Scenic Byway Committee)
- Killarney Station (sponsor: Oakland Nature Preserve)
- Finish at Crooked Can Brewery in Winter Garden
Lake Apopka Loop Trail is a gravel trail. Hybrid, mountain, or cyclo-cross bikes are recommended. The registration fee is $40 and the first 100 registrants get a “FOLA 40” t-shirt and a free beverage at Crooked Can Brewery.
Many thanks to our two primary sponsors: Winter Garden Wheel Works & Crooked Can Brewing Company.
FOLA plans to make the FOLA 40 an annual event.
To register for the ride please visit www.active.com and search for FOLA 40
About FOLA Founded in 1991, FOLA is a citizen advocacy group dedicated to restoring Lake Apopka to its once pristine condition.
contact Joe Dunn, VP Fola